Accelerated Reader and STAR Reading
WHAT IS ACCELERATED READER?
AR®is a reading program for first through sixth grade students that:
- Manages student reading.
- Monitors student’s comprehension.
- Motivates students to read.
- Increases the volume, quality, and enjoyment of reading.
WHY DO WE NEED ACCELERATED READER?
- Alarming statistics point out that elementary school students are spending less and less time reading independently.
- The Accelerated Reader®program challenges all readers – from the novice to the most advanced bookworms – to read more quality literature at their own level.
HOW DOES ACCELERATED READER WORK?
- The student takes an assessment test to determine their reading level.
- This STAR test is generally given once a quarter and is designed to identify a student’s range of independent reading.
- The student is given an independent reading level rating (ZPD) based on their STAR test results.
- StudentS read bookS in their reading level chosen from a list of more than 110,000 books with AR quizzes available.
- The target is to find material that is not too easy or too frustrating.
- Students have access to more than 110,000 quizzes.
- After reading the book, the student takes a quiz on the book using a classroom computer.
- Each quiz is 5 to 20 multiple choice questions.
- Student goal is to score 80% or higher on each quiz.
HOW IS ACCELERATED READER USED IN THE CLASSROOM?
- Teachers set AR® reading goals, depending upon grade level, per week, month or trimester.
- Each book has a point value depending on reading level and difficulty.
- Students must earn a minimum number of book points or titles read per week, month or trimester.
WHAT RESULTS CAN BE EXPECTED FROM ACCELERATED READER?
- Student receives immediate feedback.
- Teacher and student review the results.
- Based on results, teacher makes recommendations.
- Teachers receive detailed reports on students’ progress.
HOW DOES THE LIBRARY SUPPORT ACCELERATED READER?
- Library page on website explains how Accelerated Reader® works
- Library maintains list of all books in the library with AR quizzes available through ARBookfind.com. Teachers, students and parents may access this list using ARBookfind.com.
HOW CAN PARENTS HELP?
- Encourage your child to read..
- Make time at home for reading
- Shut down distractions.
- Ask your child about his or her book.
- Donate a needed book to our library or your child’s classroom.
ACCELERATED READER® Helping students help themselves to become better readers